Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The First Football Game I Let the Buffalo Take My Freedom Away From

It's my first post here in Bloggerland, at least the first one I'm doing that is not related to my other life, WOLV-TV. Thank gosh.

Anywho, that annual holiday, yes, it's basically a holiday here in the States, occurred this past Sunday, February 1st, which is also my:

mom's
sister's
uncle's (mama's a twin)
cousin's

birthday. I got the opportunity to spend the grand ol' day working at Buffalo Wild Wings and thus, found myself catching all the commercials between picking up knawed-off chicken bones and handing my guests (as my boss insists on calling them) their measly checks of just water and one serving of wings.

Let me emphasize again my word usage of having the opportunity to serve my guests on Superbowl Sunday the drink-of-the-day-in-the-non-smoking-section-of-BDubs of "just water please" and that massive amount of food they all decided to eat that day, yes, one serving of 6 traditional Honey BBQ wings each.

Okay, now that we established where I spent my Superbowl Sunday, let's count down which three commercials brought out the most buzz by my guests (and I mean buzz I can remember from that oh-so-glorious night of work due to my slavery to wings and long food order waits).

First, I couldn't believe how many times I looked up at one of our 43 television screens and saw the Doritos logo. However, this commercial surely deserved my attention. It got that of my guests plenty, and afterward, I realized why they were laughing so much.



Let's recap:

irrational humor + shocking snowglobe throwing + groin injury = so much laughter from 80% of the BDub's crowd that day (ie. males).


Second up--(yes, I'll admit it)--was one I was waiting for thanks to Professor Sasser's preview of all the Superbowl ads to look forward to in Marketing class last Thursday. I'm not much of a kid person and am the last one anyone would ask to babysit, but these talking babies, especially that singing one, man--he's cute--made me think I heard my dad laughing all the way out in California:



I think it's because these babies are intelligent and typically, I am not up for all the explaining about why things are the way they are with kids. Thanks E-Trade for making me think I may actually enjoy having kids :)

Finally, this was the commercial I felt buzz for before the game, but didn't actually notice when they had played it (remember, I was too busy filling up waters). It's the Miller High Life one second ad:



Ahhh....it just really lets my short attention span revel in satisfaction every time I watch it. Heck, let's watch all of them!!



Okay, now that we've rediscovered the high points of the 43rd Superbowl, let's go over the 3 commercials that created no buzz whatsoever on Sunday...meaning...I was able to actually have a discussion with my guests.

First up, this one was too much of a Pixar movie for the attention spans in attendance that day. Creative, very much so. Necessary, not too much.



Next up, I commend Kellog's for trying to be heroic on such a big day. In all honesty, bravo for not recognizing that this ad alone would send everyone to the buffet table because duh, it's the SUPERBOWL and no one feels the need to be nice on this day. It's called the "testosterone-driven-I-am-here-to-not-think-too-much-at-all" Bowl.



Finally, I just don't get it. But I guess it's funny. I had to watch this a few times to truly understand it and although I consider myself smart (most times), I don't think it should take 3 times to truly understand the gist of it all. Or, maybe it's just me.



Alright, end of this de-virginizing process. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment