And so, as pattern shows, I was filling up waters and sodas for the non-smoking section of Buffalo Wild Wings Ann Arbor when I began looking out for the broadcast of "the Great American Race." The race was scheduled at 1pm, but as I looked up at one of our 43 TV's within the restaurant, all I saw was pre-race, pre-race, pre-race. What seemed like hours later, I glanced at the 44th TV in the kitchen and saw country-singer Keith Urban rocking the stage for the pre-race entertainment.
Now this is something to mention. Keith Urban. Why pick him?

Because:
1) (obvious) He puts on a GREAT concert.
2) He's a country singer and because a majority (but not everyone) who attends NASCAR events can appreciate a country song, he is very appropriate...besides the fact his long-highlighted locks and adorable Australian face is attractive to all those wanted female fans...
and 3) Looking at country music culture today, you will notice that it has gotten more mainstream and more popular amongst former country music haters (ok, you can include me in this latter category). So, this is a good idea NASCAR marketers *clap clap clap* because you've found a way to grab those pop-country music lovers, otherwise known as "the-bandwagon-fans-fallen-prey-to-country-music's-ploy-to-take-over-America-via-music-that-sounds-like-pop-but-will-later-be-remembered-as-country", and fans of musicans such as Keith Urban to be your cross-over crowd. Those who never noticed NASCAR's coolness before will noticed Keith Urban on your pre-race stage and say, "Wow. If NASCAR is cool enough to get someone at their event that I actually enjoy listening to, then maybe they are cool enough for me to catch on to this NASCAR craze!"
This all went through my mind as I was shoveling ice into a plastic cup we call a "dining glass" at BDubs and filling it up with coca-cola . Simultaneously, I watched my blond co-worker jump around carelessly, while turning up the volume to the 44th television, and say aloud, "I LOVE this song!" She is NASCAR's target. She has no idea what event is going on or even cares, but I applaud NASCAR's marketers of the Daytona 500 because they potentially have a new fan in Ann Arbor's BDubs.
And so ladies and gents, this is one thing I really liked about the coverage: their pre-race entertainment. It was their last chance to grab virgin viewers before the event even started and they did it! They made blondie and me actually want to see what happened next.
However, NASCAR could have began the actual race a little earlier. It would've helped my life to not have had to pay attention for so long, waiting with longing to see the darn thing start already. I like Keith Urban and all, but really, was this about the race, or was this turning into a Superbo
wl-wannabee broadcast??Next up, let's talk about Matt Kenseth, the lucky man of the day. He was a winner that just plain needed to win for his own sanity. If he's happy with his job, then he will smile more and darnit, I believe in the power of a smile. It can make someone's day! Also, he made an emotional decision to stay in the race despite the rain warnings and cautions and he even had the worst starting position of any racer in Daytona 500 history, yet he came back and won! I really like emotional decision-makers in sport. Otherwise, athletes wouldn't be so fun to watch.
On the other end of the spectrum, I found myself annoyed with Dale Earnhardt Jr.. When somebody messes up the chances of 10 other cars (not that he probably meant to do it) and then proceeds to continue driving, well, he just deserves to get 20th place. Earnhardt Jr. made enough mistakes Sunday and his chances were blown early on, so Dale, just take one for the team and all those guys who didn't even place because of you and sit humble with place # 2-0.
Finally, let's talk about this race in general. I find it so intriguing that so many people show up to an event where they merely sit and watch inanimate objects drive in circles all day. Everyone tells me that track is such a boring sport to watch because, "who lkes watching people run in circles all day??" Well Mr. Know-all-sports-and-track-is-not-one-of-them, at least these people show facial expressions while they are running...cars just..crash...and stuff.

On the other hand, I don't understand the intrigue or desire of sitting there inhaling the smells of the environment. I can't stand sucking in cigarette smoke during an entire shift at the restaurant, let alone imagine the tar, gasoline and exhaust I would be inhaling into my lungs while at such a long race. They must have to pass out Advil in the goody bags for the fans in attendance to make up for the headaches of the smells.
I really hope I am never assigned a NASCAR beat in my future sport media career....

No comments:
Post a Comment